Friday 19 May 2017

8th May - 19th May


We had arranged when Harry was discharged to have him checked up and further laser treatment on Monday the 8th after work. Lel had agreed to work an 8-4 so that we could head straight over after work. I had left the dogs with Harry just wearing his usual attire, the curtains closed and the fan on as it was due to be warm during the day. Work was fine, I'm feeling good these days and finding the 6 hours ok at present. (I'm on 4 days, 6 hours a day until the 18th of June - to review then) Lel came to collect me at 4 and as I got in the car she said that Harry had eaten his dressings. I didn't fully understand what she meant but we had had to improvise with the dressings the previous day as we didn't have a large dressing so had stuck 2 smaller ones together as well as sticking one on above to cover the sore bit (Brendan had taken a biopsy from this area to check that it was just from the tape, not another tumour site) and Harry had taken a shine to the honey, bitten through his t-shirt and eaten 2 of the dressings leaving one attached only. Lel managed to get the wound re-covered fully and taped on but there was no sign of the dressings!!! The nurses took Harry through and cleaned him up and re-did his laser again. They were quite happy with what they saw and we were booked in for the Friday to see Brendan for full cystology result.

On Tuesday morning as we went downstairs to let the dogs out, I was taking off Harry's 'romper suit' and Lel walked into the room and said 'what's that?' It appeared that Harry had brought back up the dressings thank god. Having seen the size of them I'm so glad he did as had he passed them the other way I think it would have blocked him up or caused major problems. He did later prove on the walk that it was him who had eaten them..... As I dressed him that day I put a thick pair of tracksuit bottoms on that dad had given me along with the 'lampshade'. I was hopeful that this might discourage him from trying to get to his honey and let me work without being quite so worried. I headed off to oxygen as usual for an hour then on to work. I finished work and got home round half 4 and was very relieved that he had coped for the day although I would imagine he had been rather warm.. Julie was over in the evening as usual to help with the dressings which was very helpful as the better he feels, the less he stands still!!

Wednesday and Thursday passed without incident. I was feeling heaps better having been off my chemo for a week. All side effects had cleared and I was totally back to normal now. On the Thursday I was trying to get hold of my doctors to try and find put what was going on with my colposcopy as I still hadn't had an appointment through and I had been told it was on the 15th.. The doctors were brilliant and phoned the hospital before getting back to me to tell me that an appointment had been made and I would receive it by the 17th of May. On Thursday when I got home Harry had managed to get his head round the lampshade and chewed the edge of his romper and a small hole in his tracksuit bottoms. He clearly was desperate to get to the honey.. I improvised and cut an old 'lampshade collar' up, attaching it to edge of the collar we were leaving him in, giving it an extra 3 inches length to stop his nose poking out of it and being able to shove into his pants. He hates me but it works and I feel much more confident about leaving him now.

On the 12th we were due back at the vets at 6.30. Brendan went through the results with us and they took Harry off for his dressings and laser whilst he talked through what had come back. These were as positive as possible. The sore bit was simply because he had had strapping put over it, the tumour was the least likely to metastasise elsewhere although he said he couldn't give us guarantees (which, as we said to him, more than most we fully understand). It also has the gene that would mean it is most likely to respond to the chemo that he suggested therefore he had contacted the manufacturers to ask when to start it. As he says, you want to start as soon as possible but there is a large wound that needs to be healed first. Brendan was very honest and said that by giving Harry the chemo, it may almost be off label as there is a chance that all the tumour has been removed however, since it is impossible to tell when it gets to cell level then we would prefer him to have it for 6 months as hopefully that will be all he needs. I had previously asked Brendan if he would give it to his dog and he said he would therefore I am comfortable that it shouldn't cause Harry too many problems and we can support him with homeopathy to help him through the next bit. As we took his pants down for his evening walk we found a flea on his bum. I had treated Jade the previous week and hoped Harry wouldn't get got but...

On the morning of the 13th, we asked Vicky if she would come over at 10 so we could pop out for a bit. We headed out shopping and for some food and normality. It was lovely again and we are ever so grateful for the support of our lovely friends and neighbours. We got back round 2.30 and were so happy to have been into the real world.

On the 14th we had very little plans other than to de-flea the house and dogs and to rest. We started round 11.30 and had finished by 2. We chilled out for the rest of the day and had a nice relax as it has felt relentless for a bit, early mornings and twice a week to Leeds for the vets. They are too good to change and find someone nearer but it's a bloody long way to go. Lel however is amazing with the driving now thank god. We would have struggled had she not sorted her motorway confidence out.

We were back at the vets at 6.40 on Monday night for more laser and a re-dress. Everyone was really impressed with how he has got on. Catherine and a nurse I didn't know were doing the re-dress, as I went to the loo I saw Billie by the desk on the phone who, having seen me went straight up to see how he was getting on, also Laura (one of the vets) went in to see him and have a hug as she didn't have a client in! It's so lovely that he is so loved and cared for there. We booked the next 3 appointments through so we know the times and who we're with which feels more organised and helps me.

Tuesday the 16th was oxygen and duty at work when I got in. We were nice and busy but it felt ok still and I managed happily. I wasn't stressed about how he was going to be when I got home with the extra large 'lampshade' on as I know he can't get in to it.

Wednesday 17th - no letter regarding colposcopy, no dressings that had been ordered on Saturday and were due.

Thursday 18th - phoned the doctors who phoned the hospital and sorted my appointment for a colposcopy on the 24th of May at 10am. I'm so glad that it's finally sorted out as I hate having other things hanging over my head especially as I have read there can be a link between HPV and tumours elsewhere. I really had hoped that my cervix would have behaved this time! Still no dressings, have to use melolin and got Vicky to come over and help as he is so full of it at present.

Friday 19th, this is where we are up to date now. As usual, I've had the day off and done the washing, cleaning and have sorted Harry's bag for the vets for tonight. His dressings arrived today which was good as we had to improvise last night which I wasn't happy with. We've decided to head home for the weekend and to go to Otley Show tomorrow for a nice relax. We've both realised that we have to do things together that aren't dog or cancer related at all as it has become very hard over the past month and too stressful for both of us. Harry's bag is packed for the weekend too with all his dressings in and a change of clothes!!

My next chemo is the 7th of June with my MRI on the 9th of June so got a line up of appointments. In the mean time, we're at the vets twice a week next week and we'll see next Friday whether they think we can drop down to once a week or whether we have to stay at twice for laser.. He is healing really well but still has a long way to go. I'm much more relaxed now about him as I know he's going to be fine and I can start to focus on me again. I've not been on the re-bounder since this started as it's hard to walk them both in the morning when he's so giddy, I've hardly used the sauna which is really important for my vitamin D levels so again, I need to start using this and prioritising me again. Next week looks like an easy one, but we've all heard that before. I'll update on Friday the 26th!!

No comments:

Post a Comment