Saturday 8 July 2017

5th June - 11th June

It was only a short week at work the following one with Wednesday being chemo. Monday and Tuesday went as normal and on Wednesday we headed over around 7.30 to Christies. I got my blood taken then waited and waited. My appointment was at 10.30 and by 11.00 we were still waiting. At 11.15 I spoke to one of the nurses that we see whenever we go and asked him how long we were likely to be, he told us we were next and shortly afterwards we were taken through, I was weighed (lost another 5kgs) and told that Dr Tran was away therefore we would see her registrar (again), I do like it when this happens as they are always lovely!

A lovely doctor came through and asked me how I was, saying that they were aware that I had had a reaction to the Procarbazine and that a decision had been made for me to come off it from this point on. I showed her the photos that we had taken and she said it was one of the worst cases that she had ever seen as a reaction and that I 'don't do things by halves!' I asked her what the difference would make regarding long term outcome without the Procarbazine and she was very honest saying that they couldn't tell me that but that they could say, if I continued on it, there was a high chance I wouldn't be breathing that evening. I agreed with her to go for the more pressing and definite of the concerns and to come off the Procarbazine.

I asked her to explain my last scan if she could as I didn't understand what we had been told - and she was really friendly so I felt we could. Her explanation was that the tumour looked a bit 'less bad' than the time before and like a burn when immediately done looks bright and vivid, a few days later it looks less bad. I still didn't fully understand but as she says, it's positive so that's the main thing.

We headed over to Maggie's and had a brew and sat around for a while, at 1.30 or so the ward phoned to say that they were ready for me and to go over. The nurse hooked me up with my canular to a flush and went to get my chemo. She had gone in a different vein this time and it went in so much easier. She soon came back soon after saying that someone had cancelled it all and it would take an hour to come through again therefore I had to have a bag of flush through. My vein was moving really quickly and after 10 mins the small flush was nearly empty. I called her back and she put a large bag on, saying that there would be plenty in it. By the time she came back with my chemo drip it was nearly empty! Clearly my veins were playing well, as opposed to the first time when it took double the time to get it through. They've obviously worked out what it's all about these days! We seemed to have missed lunch so I asked Lel if she would go to the canteen and get something. She came back with soup and a sandwich which was very well received and makes the time go faster. I always find it hard seeing people linked up to chemo eating chocolate biscuits and sweets, but the fact that these are recommended by the nurses also does my head in. I kind of get that they want you to keep your weight on however processed sugar?? Really??

On getting home we had a small dinner and I took my second chemo, then the nausea started. I was determined not to be sick this time so took all 3 sorts of my antiemetics as well as my homeopathic versions too. I was not going to be ill! It's only one tablet so how dare it make me feel like this? It is not going to win! I went to bed with a bowl just in case but slept through with no issues.

The following day the nausea continued, all day and by the time Lel came home to get the dogs to the vets I wasn't sure how I was going to make it in the car for the trip. I decided to put my big girl pants on, pull them up and get a grip of myself! I took a couple more antiemetics and put a bottle of water in the car and we headed over to Leeds. As Harry was in having his bum lasered and re-dressed Brendan popped out and invited us in for a chat, saying that we would hold the appointment for Thursday but make a decision on Monday as to whether we would do it or not.

On Friday the 9th I had an MRI at 2.30 so Lel had chosen to take the day off so we could have a nice gentle one together. I was quite relaxed about it but have a feeling that when it comes round the next chemo and results day then I may not be quite so much so. I've not been as good with my diet or exercise and I have been more stressed because of Harry so if all of those things do assist with healing then I've not had the best couple of months...

On Saturday morning, early we headed over to mum and dads as we were off to collect the camper and Elizabeth wanted us there as early as possible. We landed round 11 and did all the paperwork etc. We had sorted insurance the previous week and transferred the Volvo into dad's name so he could sell it for us, as well as him take it onto his multi-car insurance policy for little extra cost. After collecting the van we went into Thirsk, to the cafe and the lady came over and asked us if we'd bought her. It was so lovely of her to remember and whilst in there I bought a picture I'd seen the previous week for Iona as it felt right.  She had been part of my decision making to buy the camper and has been so supportive for the last 6 months that I wanted to get her something from that cafe.

On the way home we looked for a garage to top up the LPG and drove to Keighley to top up there. This took a while as it's been a long time since I last did it on the old work cars and remember it being very tricky at the time. I think we're going to get some gloves as the gas kicks back but at 49.9p per litre, a whole tank of 50L being less than £25 was lovely!

Having got her home, dad and I had a good look over her, topped the battery water up and other such things that we have always done on cars together. With getting a new car, I wondered if Isla would like us to collect her from her dad's house so suggested this, as well as getting chips from the veggie chippy in Ilkley! We scooped her on her way home with chips and her first comment was 'it smells funny' - we think that was the chips!! But she was very impressed with it. We were a little concerned as we couldn't get it to change into 4th gear and it seemed stuck in 3rd... Dad says there's a technique but we have still to learn it. Saturday night we slept in Polly - mum and dad's van, as Isla was staying there too, it was lovely and quiet and other than the bed being a bit lumpy we had a lovely sleep, woken by the birds as opposed to Harry's barking or whining for a change!! We all went out for lunch to the Castle, and I continued on my antiemetics. This time's chemo has really knocked me sick. I couldn't eat at all until Friday but Saturday and Sunday were a lot more like normal.

After lunch we set off back home to Salford in the car, leaving the camper - who we still have to name - on the drive for a valet, wheel arches de-rusting and lining, new radio fitting, new fog light fitting and general 'dad' work doing on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment