Monday 24 April 2017

14th April - 20th April

The 14th of April, being Good Friday was the start of the Easter break together. Since working here I have never had the 4 days off over Easter as I always would go for the cash and additional holiday day as opposed to having the time and being with Lel. Apart from the fact that they won't pay me for working a bank holiday as duty as I'm not fully up to speed for a full shift, I am now more looking to having the time with Lel as this is what really matters, not money nor extra holidays as she only has 15 days left this year with having taken my chemo dates off. We didn't do anything, just chilled out and had a lovely take out curry that night.

On the 15th, we went to see Brendan again about the lump on Harry's bum that first appeared at the end of February when we were in London and Bristol. This was the 3rd time he had been about it. We had already agreed to meet mum and dad there and go for a brew afterwards at the airport or something along those lines. As Brendan felt the lump and moved it around, we both noticed his face fall. He spent a fair while feeling it before sitting on the table opposite us and telling us that it is a Mastocytoma that reacts to histamine hence why it flares up and goes down as fast as it does and that he wanted to take it out as soon as possible given how big it was getting. He explained that the risks with these such tumours are that parts break off and invade other organs of the body therefore he wanted to get it out as soon as possible in the hope that it was still localised. He explained that chemotherapy may be needed however the chemo that targets this is very directive and literally does not affect any other organs or cause any other side effects or symptoms. I asked Brendan if he would use this on his own dog and he said he would so I felt reassured by this. In the meantime, we were given histamine spray, piriton and corpet to help his immune system and hope that we wouldn't have a flare up again before surgery. 

Before leaving, we booked to be back for it removing on the 24th of April. As Brendan was telling us all this, I could see Lel struggling again. We got them both outside, put them in the car and I held Lel as she sobbed. I felt so sorry for her as she has had so much stuff to deal with since last August and she doesn't need someone else that she loves to be dealing with cancer. She told me to go and tell mum and dad so I walked over and told them, as I did I started to cry as I really didn't want him to have to go through surgery and everything, poor pup. He really is my baby and the thought of him going through that really got to me as I explained what Brendan had said to mum. I told her we still needed to go for a walk and could they lead us up to the Tarn so we could walk and talk things through. As we got out of the car at the Tarn dad gave me a massive hug and I just said 'why?' I know there is no why but my poor little pup, my poor Bobo. So, we walked round the Tarn and talked and after this headed up to the airport cafe for a brew as we had set off very early and not eaten breakfast or had anything. After a chat, toast and a brew we headed off back home. We had intended to clean that afternoon but strangely enough, our hearts weren't in it so just did a bit of shopping then relaxed with the dogs. On the Saturday we cleaned, I can't remember what we did on the Sunday but the Monday we headed out to try and distract ourselves a little.

Back at work on the Tuesday after having a blood test at 8.20 and hoping that on this occasion the results don't get lost. I was covering duty for the shift so it was nice going in and knowing what the plan would be, the same on the Wednesday too therefore I had booked to go to oxygen that evening at 7pm as there was no way I would make it during the day. Lel was looking forwards to taking me there so that she could see what goes on and where I go. On Wednesday night after work I was shattered and having got home we ate dinner, watched TV for a bit then went to bed.

The following morning, Thursday, as I got up I looked at my calendar on my phone and realised that I had missed the oxygen session and felt awful. It set me up the wrong way for the day and I was really annoyed with forgetting about it. Work was ok, it felt to take forever though but I had sorted out being off on the Friday to get Harry to the vets which I was very glad about. That evening David, our mortgage advisor came round to discuss our options on mortgage renewal, really shows that life goes on regardless of everything else that is happening!!

No comments:

Post a Comment