Friday 10 February 2017

November 24th - December 1st

On the 24th of November we attended Christies as Salford Royal for the last time. Arriving in plenty of time and sitting waiting for a while I looked on-line at Far Infra Red Saunas as these were recommended in various of the books that I have read as being very supportive for the immune system in treating cancer, I went in for my scan then treatment, then saw Sharon (Nikki was away at an international golf tournament!). I got Lel to take my picture as I rang the bell (there is a bell and a small quote that people ring when they finish treatment and usually people clap, I had gone through treatment with the same group of people however most had finished before I did and non were there as I completed my final session and no-one clapped, boring farts!) before returning home with Lel who had taken the day off work so we could have a nice day together.

We had bitten the bullet and decided to stray into the world of on-line shopping and were waiting in until 9 for our on-line shopping delivery from Ocado. I had found that they sold a large amount of organic food (we live off this these days) as well as ‘wonky’ veg for juicing. With a good discount, this made our weekly shop, £20 cheaper than normal so was a nice bonus. It came a little late but was nice to unpack everything and get it all away without the faf of wandering round Sainsburys first.

Lel took a photo of me without my hat on. We posted this on facebook and within seconds I had the most amazing supportive and kind responses from people. I was very surprised and touched by peoples comments on the post, as well as people private messaging me with offers of support and their own stories too. People were saying how brave I had been as well as how inspirational I was, I do not believe that I have been brave, simply that I had no choice and I just did what I had to do. Crying into a cup of tea was no option to me and would not have helped any of us getting through this. I believe that Lel has been immensely brave throughout and I am so so proud of how she had dealt with everything. The only time I feel that I have been at all brave is when I went down for surgery and Lel got upset. At that point I could have cried as I was a bit afraid but I knew I had to go through with it and had no other choice however, at seeing her this distraught, I nearly did cry. The comments and love that was sent through were remarkable and very loving, comments continued to flood in for the next 3 days. I have had times when I have cried, don't get me wrong but these have not been huge or stopped me being positive about getting through this.

I headed over to treatment for my 1.15 appointment, sending Lel to the Trafford centre to do some shopping in peace! I was finished by 3, Lel collected me and took me home. We had decided to do the dogs early and head over to Sanskruti for dinner to celebrate. At 5:30 we set off, got there in plenty of time and had a fabulous dinner. Lel had a Thali, I had the same as I did the previous time as I had enjoyed it so much - a masala dosa and daal, along with a paratha to share. The amount of food was astounding however it tasted amazing and what was left became my lunch the following day! From here, it was back in time to watch Masterchef and light the woodburner that had been installed the previous week! After waiting over a year and having a very unwanted battle with our previous builders we finally got someone in who could fit it for us. I think that being diagnosed with this gave me the boot up the backside that I needed in order to get this fitted as we had wanted one since first moving into the house. It is amazing, we love it as does everyone else who has been in when it is lit - although as a warning for anyone who visits, wear very little clothing as the room gets really warm!! 

The next day was the first day in 7 weeks that I had been able to have a lie in however my body refused and I was up by 8 or so. I relaxed and did very little for the day as I had no oxygen treatment that day. I did a bit of washing and packed as we were going away for a night at Coniston Hotel again for my birthday and treat that we had finished Radiotherapy. I was massively looking forwards to it as we had had such a nice time last time we stayed. 

On the Friday morning, Lel had taken another day off for my birthday (for which I was very grateful), we had a gentle morning then set off to mum and dad’s house to drop the dogs off. Em called in and I asked if she wanted to come up to Coniston for lunch with us if she wasn’t too busy? We went up to the hotel for round 12:30 and went for lunch in the Spa (they do vegan and gluten free on their menu). Lunch was good, we finished just before 2 and headed down to reception to check in. A receptionist checked us in, Rachel saw and came over to ask how I was and to say that she had given us a nice room as a treat! I checked that we were booked in the Huntsman’s Lodge for 6:30 and we headed up to the room. It was huge! A full suite as per last time as well as a separate living room. It was gorgeous. We sat for a while before heading over to the spa, using the pool, the sauna and the himalayan salt sauna. It was amazing. We also read for a while on relaxation loungers, I drifted off to sleep listening to a hen do jabbering on whilst Lel read. We went back to the room in plenty of time, on the previous occasion we had not managed to have a bath and we were determined to use it. The bath was amazing, we could both lay down with Lel resting her head on me as I was trying not to fall asleep. Dinner was a little disappointing with the vegan menu having been removed and a gluten free menu only being on offer along with one vegetarian option that I made suitable. It was not a good as on the previous occasion however it was lovely to be away together at the end of my treatment. I was feeling brilliant, the exhaustion that was forecast had not happened, neither had the ‘sunburn’ to my scalp, the headaches that were foreseen or any swelling in my brain. 

The Saturday morning was my birthday, I had hoped for a lie in but sadly, woke at 6. We had planned to spend the day in the spa then the rest of the family come and join us for dinner before heading to mum and dad’s to spend the night there then driving back home on Sunday. Mum text to say that dad wasn’t well and she didn’t think it would be a good idea for us to stay overnight in the same house as a really bad cold (especially when using the oxygen tanks, you’re not allowed to go in if you have a cold due to pressure issues  and possible pain with people’s ears). We therefore had a quick change of plan - this year has taught Lel and I that we are, if nothing else, adaptable!! We headed for breakfast then checked out and went to the Spa until 11 which is check out time. A further 2hrs in the Spa was lovely, Lel had a decent swim, I used the pool briefly and both saunas as well as reading for a good amount of time. We went to mum and dad’s to collect the dogs as well as my birthday pressies before going back over to Salford. We have lovely home made pizzas and oven chips for dinner that night, in front of the log burner, watching Strictly Come Dancing - a thoroughly enjoyable evening in all! Sunday was lovely and relaxing, we took the dogs for a run in the park then did very little together - it was so nice.


The following week (w/c 28th) I was back at oxygen treatment with lifts from friends still. Whilst in the tank I had been reading Anita Manjoori ‘Dying to be Me’ which I found inspirational, I am no longer afraid of dying which I found to be a phenomenal concept - the only thing I do not want to do is leave Lel and everyone behind. This almost felt to give me some freedom and I know that this isn’t going to kill me. I am doing so many things, using lots of supplements as well as boswelia and CBD oil which are known to have remarkable results on brain tumours. I also read Kelly Turner ‘Radical Remission’ which made me feel as though I am doing so many things right and that I am giving myself the best possible chance. I have felt as though both the books have reassured me and shown me that I am doing everything right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment